Current events in our fragmented country have prompted many of us to define (or redefine) who we are, what we believe, and what we want for this world.
At BrickaBrack, we're asking ourselves: How are our fellow Americans’ perspectives so different from our own? How can we bridge the divide of understanding and engage in meaningful conversation?
Technology, as much as it has allowed us to be globally connected, also plays a huge role in dividing us. Our news is filtered to our preferences, typically reflecting back and re-confirming our established viewpoints. Often, online conversations or debates allow little opportunity for nuanced discussion or personal connection. Many people use messaging as their principal form of communication, rather than talking in person or by phone. When’s the last time you called an acquaintance on the phone just to have a conversation? When’s the last time you’ve spoken with someone whose perspective is significantly different from your own?
With this project, 52 PickUp, we conducted conversations with people across the U.S., in the hope of capturing a snapshot of America; fragments, glimmers, showing our diversity of races, religions, dreams, occupations, practices, and economic and social identities. We made a deliberate effort to reach people whose lives differ considerably from our experience as NYC-based theatre practitioners.
Based on these 52 PickUp conversations, BrickaBrack created Lights Across the Field (July 2017 workshop).
Our overall drivers for the project:
- What are some of the universal desires, experiences and fears that unite us?
- Why does someone have a completely different perspective than me?
- How would you describe your life?
- Would you say your life is similar to most of the people you know, or different?
- Who is your community?
- What has been the best moment of your life? Why?
- What's the hardest thing you've ever done?
- What makes you feel most alive?
- What are you most afraid of?
- What do you believe happens after we die?
- How would you describe America?
- How did you come to your points of view on: Science, Evolution, the Environment, Women’s Rights / Reproductive Rights, Race, Religion
- What do you believe as truth? How do you decide?
- What do you dream about?
Ensemble photos by Joana Cardozo